Sunday, February 11, 2007

Going to Hell & Looking for Metalheads

Or visiting Hell's Canyon and fishing for steelhead...

It's been a great weekend, getting to know Idaho a little better and spending time with Gerry, who so kindly took me fishing. It's just about the end of steelhead season, and they are playing hard to get, but Gerry knew right what to do in order to get into 'em. What a blast! Hooking into these finicky fish is a real rush, especially when you have to work for it soooo hard. We jet-boated up and down the Salmon River back-trolling and casting salmon eggs from shore. At one point I hooked a big hog and it started pulling out line from my reel and fighting with mighty jerks, but alas my hook wasn't set well enough and it got away. Must have been at least 40 inches (wink wink).

After fishing on Saturday I set out to find Pittsburg Landing on the Snake River deep in Hell's Canyon. What a gorgeous place! The road was muddy, tight, narrow, and long but it was well worth it. Saw a herd of elk on a steep hillside above the river and tons of deer. The landscape is really steep, and I got there right as the sun was setting so everything was somber and majestic.

After fishing today I forgot my coat in Gerry's rig and had to drive 2 hours to Lewiston each way to go pick it up. It took so long because there was a blizzard on the highway. Yikes. Visibility was really bad in some places with so much snow falling, and going around a couple corners my subie slid out on the snow, sending me into the oncoming lane even though I was only going 30 mph. I had to crank the wheel and floor it to keep from going into the ditch. Fortunately it was late and no one else was on the road. That was scary, and now I'm seriously thinking about snow tires... The drive over Lolo Pass should be interesting tomorrow!

No comments: