Friday, April 20, 2007

April Showers

Been swept away in the spring rush of work, great weather, and more work. Finally, I have found a great niche where I LOVE the work I'm doing, not just in concept, but in the day to day nitty gritty aspects as well. The Lolo is a superb place to be, and the issues are sooooo interesting. In the course of a single day I deal with everything from the internal budget situation, to the local newspaper wanting to do a story on our contractors that hire seasonal migrant workers, to a big contentious ski resort proposal in town and so much more. My job is all about people, their opinions, values, and how it all fits into managing forest ecosystems. Thus is the life of a public affairs officer...

Turned 31 on April 12, and Max helped me celebrate over good food and drink. After that I went canoe camping with a bunch of coworkers in the Gates of the Mountains. 7 of us met up for a weekend of canoeing up to Meriweather Gulch, about 20 miles N of Helena. This area was 1st discovered by westerners when Lewis & Clark paddled upriver on the Missouri. After a long trip through the plains of E Montana, they remarked on how entering the canyons here was like going through the gates of the Mountains. Later, in the 50's, 13 smokejumpers died on Mann Gulch, a truely tragic event.

No comments: