Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Fire's Burning (in my belly)

Last week I joined the Superior Fire Crew for a prescribed burn in an old logging unit. It was lots of fun, and our fire folks are really impressive when it comes to burning stuff up and keeping things in control, which can be like holding a tiger by its tail, as one firefighter said.

Big changes are on the horizon for me. Last week I decided to resign from the Forest Service effective November 27, without having another job lined up yet. After almost four years with the agency I have concluded that the organizational culture is incompatible with my non-career needs, and so now I am returning to Seattle and hoping that some job applications I have submitted will come through.

It's scary to walk away from a permanent job that pays around 70k and is loaded with benefits, but it's important for me to live life right - which means following my heart and making things work out with my head. Seattle, friends, the Cascades & Olympics, progressive culture, here I come!

No comments: