Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Dispatch from Sheridan

Today I traversed most most of South Dakota and made it deep into Wyoming. The temperature was around 9 degrees Fahrenheit while the sun was out, but quickly dropped to zero and eventually -4. Despite the cold the roads are fine and there is no traffic. I-90 gained 4000 feet of elevation from S Dakota to here and my gas mileage went down to 10 MPG. Just S of here lies Cloud Peak, which is over 13,000 feet and I very much look forward to getting a look in the morning.

I tried to get a room in Gilette, WY but the hotels were all booked. A deskperson told me that the oil and gas industry is booming in Wyoming from Bush & Cheney's energy policy and Gilette is the nerve center for business right now. While on the road today I saw the Corn Palace, based on Andrew's recommendation (thanks Andrew) and it was very impressive. I was pleased to learn that Mitchell is a college town and has good espresso.

3 comments:

fixiewrek said...

What kind of shit is this, cheese and full hotels. Gas and oil? You should've charged in there and started talking smack about saving the trees and global warming and firebombed some drill rigs!!! The Forest Service hangs it's head in shame.

fixiewrek said...

Note: cheese = corn in Danish.

Nick Spang said...

I did ask the lady at the corn palace if she thought global warming was affecting us in SD and she started laughing at me and said we'll be just fine.