Monday, January 15, 2007

Weekend in Bozeman

After a crazy post holiday week in Missoula, including two nights of birthday partying for Max, I went to Bozeman to hang out with Diane and get up into the mountains. It was FREEZING, between -5 and 5 degrees all weekend, but the sun was out and the sky was crystal clear. On Sunday, Diane, Russ, Emmanuela, and I went up to Big Sky for a day on the slopes. It was my first trip to Big Sky and I was totally blown away by the Gallatin Range, which is full of crags, cliffs, narrow ravines, rushing streams, and a couple nice big peaks.

The road on the way up was awesome. Tight, twisty, and scenic. I have to revisit it this spring on my moto. For now it is very icy. There were crosses every mile or so along the road for all the poor souls who didn't quite make it up or back down the road. Sometimes in a spot that was perfectly straight, and it was hard to imagine what fate could have befallen those who died there.

Big Sky has been suffering this year with whimpy snowfall, and despite getting 8 inches last week there were still lots of treacherous runs with rocks just waiting to take a chunk out of your ride. My edges definitely got a few dings in them, though we all had a great time, and the mountain was lots of fun. With more snow it would be epic, especially with the tram that takes you to the top of Lone Peak.

1 comment:

fixiewrek said...

I can't wait to see pictures of exotic Bismark!!!