Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Waning Days of Summer

The temperature has gotten into the sweet zone, and this Saturday I had to get out even though I have a huge backlog of reading to do and I still feel a little sick. I rode my moto down to Kootenai Creek in the Bitterroot Mountains and hiked up to N Kootenai Lake, which ended up being over 20 miles round trip. Most of the hike was pretty but not that scenic. The lake made the trip well worth it though, as it was absolutely superb.

Otherwise the hike was time well spent pondering my feelings of being stuck away from the people and cultural stimulus that are important to me and my sense that my destiny is to work in podunk towns if I choose to stay where I'm at. Personal values are hanging in the balance, and I feel like I've made some bad moves to end up where I am now, despite its many heavenly aspects. I love the mountains, issues, coworkers, and the work itself (for the most part) but am dismayed at the bureaucracy and anachronism remaining in the agency.

No comments: